Who doesn’t wish to stay young forever? Your skin begins to show signs of ageing as soon as you enter your twenties. Your cheeks and chin begin to sag with age. The body muscles lose their strength and elasticity as you grow older. It’s important that we make it a point to ensure that youthfulness is retained. Here is how Ayurveda and few natural tips can come to the rescue of your skin.
A skin tightening facial that uses Njavara Oil is extremely beneficial for healthy skin and supple cheeks. Take 2 big spoons of powdered green gram and mix it with 1 spoon of curd to make a natural scrub for the face and neck. Apply the mixture upwards from the neck till the forehead. Scrub the face for 5 minutes with wet finger tips. Once this is washed away, apply Njavara Oil or any other skin tightening oil available in the market. Massage the face lightly in an upward direction from the neck. Concentrate on the problematic areas that sag. Take a piece of cloth that is not too thick, fold it and dip it in the Njavara oil that has been heated bearably. Hold on both the ends and massage the neck area and face in upward strokes. Repeat this step for 15 minutes.
After this take 3 big spoons of Njavara powder and mix it with milk or water, heat it till it gets a thick consistency. Make a kizhi or a therapeutic bag with this. Dip this into the slightly warm oil and massage using round strokes for about 10 minutes. Take out this mixture from the cloth bag and you can use it as a face pack. Once this gets dry, apply some milk over the pack and wash this off after 20 minutes.
This is a face pack that is made of virgin coconut oil. This is the oil that is made from simmering thick coconut milk for hours together on a low fire. This oil is especially ideal for those with dry skin. Add the tender portion of a few petals of lotus and some rose petals into the oil. Store the oil till it is infused with the essence of the flowers for about 3 days. Then dab it onto the face, again only in the upward direction from the neck. Leave it on the face for 20 minutes. Dip a cotton ball in lukewarm water and clean the oil from the face. Make a mask using green gram powder, Multani mitti or besan and water and wash it off after some time.
For those with dry skin, massaging the face and neck with virgin coconut oil will help to retain the youthfulness. Take one big spoon of oil and using the fingertips massage the face and neck for 3 -5 minutes. Wipe off the oil using warm water and cotton. Follow this with a mask of besan or Multani mitti. Virgin coconut oil is very good for children too.
Natural Tips for beautiful skin
Try these homemade packs to ward off the early signs of ageing and to keep the skin looking young forever.
1. Two spoons of honey, juice of half a lemon, ½ teaspoons of sugar. Apply this on the face and once it is dry wash it off. This acts like a cleanser and a scrub. After this apply one small spoon of Almond oil mixed with a spoon of milk cream. Leave it for 15 minutes and then wash off. For those above 35 years, use a little more oil.
2. Take a big spoon of nutmeg powder, 1/4th tablespoon of milk, make a paste of this and apply on face and neck, wash after 15 minutes.
3. 2 tablespoon of green gram powder, 2 pinch of turmeric, 1 teaspoons of besan. To this add 2 tbsp low-fat curd or milk and make a face pack for oily skin. Wash it off once dry with lukewarm water.
4. 2 tablespoon of powdered sabudana, 1 tablespoons of honey to make a face pack for glowing skin, leave it on the face for 20 minutes.
5. Another magical potion for young looking skin is to take 1 tsp of Aloe Vera juice in 1 cup of warm water on an empty stomach daily.
6. 2 teaspoons of sandalwood powder, 1 teaspoon of sandalwood oil, glycerine, lemon juice, and a small spoon of wheat powder. Make a paste of these and apply on the face and neck. Wash it after 15 minutes.
7. Grind half a carrot and potato to make a paste. To this add a small spoon of honey and lemon juice. Use this as a face pack for the face and neck.
8. Take two big spoons of powdered dried green peas and mix it with 3 – 4 drop of rosewater and warm water. Make a thick paste for the face and neck. After 15 minutes, wash it off. This pack has a whitening effect on the skin.
9. 1 big spoon of fine rice powder, dried orange skin powder and 2 big spoons of lemon juice to make a mask. Leave it on the face for 15 minutes and this will act on removing marks and blemishes.
To prevent dry skin
1. Make a paste of mashed plantain and 1 tsp honey and make a pack for the face and neck. After 20 minutes wipe the face clean. Do this once or twice every week to make the skin smooth and fresh looking.
2. Grind half a banana to make a thick paste, to this add 3 tbsp raw milk to make a face mask for dry skin. Leave it on the face for 20 minutes before washing it off.
3. Take 2 tablespoons of curd and add the juice from an orange wedge and a small spoon of lemon juice and apply this mix on the face and neck. After 15 minutes make a mask of 2 teaspoons of besan and water for cleansing the skin.
Shyamala Devi, Women’s Innovations, Alappuzha
Dr. Reema Padmakumar, Reem’s Herbal Beauty Clinic, Thiruvananthapuram