The canteen at Government Ayurveda College in Tripunithura was shut down because of unhygienic conditions following a surprise visit by the district medical authorities on Friday.
A team led by Dr. Haseena Mohammed, District Medical Officer, ordered the closure of the canteen after they found it lacked hygienic conditions for preparing and serving food. The team also found that the canteen was found wanting in certain parameters for cleanliness.
Dr. Haseena Mohammed said the hospital authorities had to rectify the problems in two days before reopening the canteen on Monday.
“We also found that the biogas plant on the campus was functioning in an unhygienic condition with its surroundings turning into a breeding ground for mosquitoes,” she said.
Stating that cleanliness measures would be initiated in the canteen as per the directions of the District Medical Officer, Dr. T. K. Uma, Principal of the Government Ayurveda College, said all the top officials of the college used to have food from the canteen. “We also carry out regular cleaning and feel that it’s not that unhygienic as pointed out by the health team,” she said.
Please Wait while comments are loading…
1. Comments will be moderated by The Hindu editorial team.
2. Comments that are abusive, personal, incendiary or irrelevant cannot be published.
3. Please write complete sentences. Do not type comments in all capital letters,
or in all lower case letters, or using abbreviated text.
(example: u cannot substitute for you, d is not ‘the’, n is not ‘and’).
4. We may remove hyperlinks within comments.
5. Please use a genuine email ID and provide your name, to avoid rejection.